Thursday, January 1, 2009

Neighborhood Watch

First a picture of Pascal, the actual sleeping cat from previous post. Now, she is sleeping on the sofa in 'her spot' having harassed me first complaining that I am on the computer way too much.

We had been invited to an open house gathering in the neighborhood from 2-4pm today, and in the spirit of happy neighborhoodliness, we joined the gang. Walking from no.10 (our home) to no.2 (party home) lasted a good 2 minutes in the cold weather. Even with the ultra cozy coat and scarf of protection, the wind licked behind my ears, down my neck and swirled around my ankles. Upon arriving at our party, I was already chilled and wishing to snuggle on a sofa wrapped in a blanket. Now I remember why we try to stay inside the warm place we call home.

After the extremely brief chill factor, the party was worthwhile and we spoke with many neighbors we had not previously met. We met the guy across the street who obviously has much time on his hands. In the past we had only waved to each other as I began or ended my daily work commute. He and his wife have the odd tendency to collect leaves and branches, leaving the ground spotless. This, I may note, is not all that odd if it is your own yard. I do think that it's odd that they collect leaves and branches from our driveway and surrounding cul-de-sac across the street from where they live.

We also were pleased to meet the original owners of our own house (no.10). Quite a lot is now clear to us... We heard how she used to be a dog breeder while living here (There were FOUR Labs living in our little back yard) and how when they sold the house, she had left a full map of what and where she planted in the yard. I learned sadly that we used to have beautiful lilacs in the back. Alas, there are no signs of these lost plants. There are still remnants of the plants in which she obviously took great pride; snowdrops, daffodils, bluebells... The few straggler tulips were originally from friends of hers who brought them directly from Holland. Gardening however will be another blog for another day.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Oh, what a shame the lilacs didn't make it! You know how I love lilacs....

So, where did they keep the dogs?! I can't imagine Josie playing fetch in the back yard...

Glad you had a fun party, now you have no excuse to forget any of your neighbors' names.