Friday, January 2, 2009

Ice is Nice

Isn't it supposed to be cold and snowy in January? I know some who won't live here because of all the horrible snow (you know who you are!) but all we get is cold wind and a little ice. Our lake is starting to freeze over and the ducks are finding their paddle area limited.

We have a new Ice Skating rink for the winter set up in our town center. There are kids out there almost any time of the day. It's picturesque, almost Norman Rockwell-ish. The area ice production is apparently limited locally, because this ice rink... isn't. Instead of ice, our kids skate on Teflon.

I remember skating on the Potomac when it iced over, and on the C&O Canal after sweeping the snow off. I remember skating on rinks on the DC mall. I just can't imagine having wonderful memories of... Teflon. Maybe this generation, the good memories just won't stick...

2 comments:

Kate said...

Yeah, that is wierd. I remember skating on the potomac and the c&o also... Mostly I remember falling down a lot. Skating just isn't my sport!

Although today is actually in the 80's (!) we've had colder weather down here in TX than I ever saw in CA. It's a total gamble with weather, and I've experienced 50-degree swings from one day to the next. I guess it gives us a break from the winter, but you never get a chance to acclimate!

nezumikitty said...

"..the good memories just won't stick..."

hahahaha - won't stick!!!

because it's TEFLON!!!

i get it!!

funny.